Tuesday 3 April 2012

The foundations of this blog

I thought I might start by saying a little about myself, I have always loved the outdoors. 

When as a kid I would always go with the family out to the Flinders Ranges or similair remote areas and do camping and 4wd'ing over all sorts of terrain in the reliable pajero! I always enjoyed feeling close to nature and being away from the bullsh*t of society. Time almost is non exsistant out there, there are no worries and it is really relaxing.

The Australian outback is a truely unqiue place. the local fauna and flora is unique to only this part of the world. The conditions here are different then most places on earth, we can have a barren desert then 500kms away a lush rainforest to steep mountains and snow, steamy jungles to long lying flat plains. It is truely a world of contrast.

I intend to update my blog with product reviews of which I use or have used in harsh aussie conditions, but I am in no way an expert. Also I will post up camping trips, any hints and tips I have found along the way such as skinning game, different uses for seemily unuseful items EG: fencing wire! and particularly about bush tucker and the ways of the Australian Aboriginals and thier methods of living, Since they have lived in this land for 60,000 years. What better mentors to get my learning from, luckily for us in Australia the hunter/gatherer way of life is still happening here unlike the rest of the world where it has well and truely died off due to cultivation and farmer or the loss of archeological evidence.

Sadly alot of even the Aboriginal way of life has been threatened, after colonisation we lost quite a bit of knowledge as it was never written down only passed on by word of mouth. As which I am doing through this blog, the natural resources of Oz have been reduced aswell to create pastoral lands so a number of bushtucker have become more elusive and our native wild life endangered by in the introduction of pests such as foxes, rabbits, cats, horses, goats, cane toads.

I will no doubt make posts already covered by other bloggers but since there arent too many Australians into bushcraft I hope my posts will atleast get more of them into the outback and put a unique Australian twist on typical bushcraft trains of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment